1. O you wrapped in garments (i.e. Prophet Muhammad )!
2. Stand (to pray) all night, except a little.
3. Half of it, or a little less than that,
4. Or a little more; and recite the Qur'an (aloud) in a slow,
(pleasant tone and) style .
5. Verily, We
shall send down to you a weighty Word (i.e. obligations, legal laws,
6. Verily, the rising by night (for
Tahajjud prayer) is very hard and most potent and good for
governing (the soul), and most suitable for (understanding) the Word
7. Verily, there is for you by
day prolonged occupation with ordinary duties,
8. And remember the Name of your Lord and devote yourself to Him
with a complete devotion.
9. (He Alone is)
the Lord of the east and the west, La ilaha illa Huwa (none
has the right to be worshipped but He). So take Him Alone as Wakil
(Disposer of your affairs) .
10. And be
patient (O Muhammad )
with what they say, and keep away from them in a good way.
11. And leave Me Alone to deal with the beliers (those who deny
My Verses, etc.), and those who are in possession of good things of
life. And give them respite for a little while.
12. Verily, with Us are fetters (to bind them), and a raging
13. And a food that chokes, and a
14. On the Day when the
earth and the mountains will be in violent shake, and the mountains
will be a heap of sand poured out and flowing down.
15. Verily, We have sent to you (O men) a Messenger (Muhammad )
to be a witness over you, as We did send a Messenger [Musa (Moses)]
to Fir'aun (Pharaoh) .
16. But Fir'aun
(Pharaoh) disobeyed the Messenger [Musa (Moses)], so We seized him
with a severe punishment.
17. Then how
can you avoid the punishment, if you disbelieve, on a Day that will
make the children grey-headed (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)?
18. Whereon the heaven will be cleft asunder? His Promise is
certainly to be accomplished.
this is an admonition, therefore whosoever will, let him take a Path
to His Lord!
20. Verily, your Lord knows that
you do stand (to pray at night) a little less than two-thirds of the
night, or half the night, or a third of the night, and so do a party
of those with you, And Allah measures the night and the day. He knows
that you are unable to pray the whole night, so He has turned to you
(in mercy). So, recite you of the Qur'an as much as may be easy for
you. He knows that there will be some among you sick, others
travelling through the land, seeking of Allah's Bounty; yet others
fighting in Allah's Cause. So recite as much of the Qur'an as may be
easy (for you), and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat)
and give Zakat, and lend to Allah a goodly loan, and whatever
good you send before you for yourselves, (i.e. Nawafil
non-obligatory acts of worship: prayers, charity, fasting, Hajj
and 'Umrah, etc.), you will certainly find it with Allah,
better and greater in reward. And seek Forgiveness of Allah. Verily,
Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Merciful.