1. Draws near for mankind their reckoning, while they turn away
2. Comes not unto them an
admonition (a chapter of the Qur'an) from their Lord as a recent
revelation but they listen to it while they play,
3. With their hearts occupied (with evil things) those who do
wrong, conceal their private counsels, (saying): "Is this (Muhammad )
more than a human being like you? Will you submit to magic while you
4. He (Muhammad )
said: "My Lord knows (every) word (spoken) in the heavens and on
earth. And He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower."
5. Nay, they say:"These (revelations of the Qur'an which are
inspired to Muhammad )
are mixed up false dreams! Nay, he has invented it! Nay, he is a
poet! Let him then bring us an Ayah (sign as a proof) like the
ones (Prophets) that were sent before (with signs)!"
6. Not one of the towns (populations), of those which We
destroyed, believed before them (though We sent them signs), will
they then believe?
7. And We sent not
before you (O Muhammad )
but men to whom We inspired, so ask the people of the Reminder
[Scriptures - the Taurat (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel)] if you do not
8. And We did not create them (the
Messengers, with) bodies that ate not food, nor were they immortals,
9. Then We fulfilled to them the promise, and We saved them and
those whom We willed, but We destroyed Al-Musrifun (i.e.
extravagants in oppression, polytheism and in sin).
10. Indeed, We have sent down for you (O mankind) a Book, (the
Qur'an) in which there is Dhikrukum, (your Reminder or an
honour for you i.e. honour for the one who follows the teaching of
the Qur'an and acts on its orders). Will you not then understand?
11. How many a town (community), that were wrong-doers, have We
destroyed, and raised up after them another people!
12. Then, when they perceived (saw) Our Torment (coming), behold,
they (tried to) flee from it.
not, but return to that wherein you lived a luxurious life, and to
your homes, in order that you may be questioned.
14. They cried: "Woe to us! Certainly! We have been Zalimun
(polytheists, wrong-doers and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah,
15. And that cry of theirs ceased
not, till We made them as a field that is reaped, extinct (dead).
16. We created not the heavens and the earth and all that is
between them for a (mere) play .
We intended to take a pastime (i.e. a wife or a son, etc.), We could
surely have taken it from Us, if We were going to do (that).
18. Nay, We fling (send down) the truth (this Qur'an) against the
falsehood (disbelief), so it destroys it, and behold, it (falsehood)
is vanished. And woe to you for that (lie) which you ascribe (to Us)
(against Allah by uttering that Allah has a wife and a son).
19. To Him belongs whosoever is in the heavens and on earth. And
those who are near Him (i.e. the angels) are not too proud to worship
Him, nor are they weary (of His worship).
They (i.e. the angels) glorify His Praises night and day, (and) they
never slacken (to do so).
21. Or have
they taken (for worship) aliha (gods) from the earth who raise
22. Had there been therein (in
the heavens and the earth) gods besides Allah, then verily both would
have been ruined. Glorified be Allah, the Lord of the Throne, (High
is He) above what they attribute to Him!
He cannot be questioned as to what He does, while they will be
24. Or have they taken for
worship (other) aliha (gods) besides Him? Say: "Bring your
proof:" This (the Qur'an) is the Reminder for those with me and the
Reminder for those before me. But most of them know not the Truth, so
they are averse.
25. And We did not send
any Messenger before you (O Muhammad )
but We inspired him (saying): La ilaha illa Ana [none has the
right to be worshipped but I (Allah)], so worship Me (Alone and none
26. And they say: "The Most
Beneficent (Allah) has begotten a son (or children)." Glory to Him!
They [those whom they call children of Allah i.e. the angels, 'Iesa
(Jesus) son of Maryam (Mary), 'Uzair (Ezra), etc.], are but honoured
27. They speak not until He has
spoken, and they act on His Command.
He knows what is before them, and what is behind them, and they
cannot intercede except for him with whom He is pleased. And they
stand in awe for fear of Him.
29. And if
any of them should say: "Verily, I am an ilah (a god) besides
Him (Allah)," such a one We should recompense with Hell. Thus We
recompense the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.).
30. Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the
earth were joined together as one united piece, then We parted them?
And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then
31. And We have placed on the
earth firm mountains, lest it should shake with them, and We placed
therein broad highways for them to pass through, that they may be
32. And We have made the heaven a
roof, safe and well guarded. Yet they turn away from its signs (i.e.
sun, moon, winds, clouds, etc.).
He it is Who has created the night and the day, and the sun and the
moon, each in an orbit floating.
We granted not to any human being immortality before you (O Muhammad ),
then if you die, would they live forever?
Everyone is going to taste death, and We shall make a trial of you
with evil and with good, and to Us you will be returned.
36. And when those who disbelieve (in the Oneness of Allah) see
you (O Muhammad ), they
take you not except for mockery (saying): "Is this the one who talks
(badly) about your gods?" While they disbelieve at the mention of the
Most Beneficent (Allah). [Tafsir. Al-Qurtubi].
37. Man is created of haste, I will show you My Ayat
(torments, proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations,
etc.).So ask Me not to hasten (them).
And they say: "When will this promise (come to pass), if you are
39. If only those who
disbelieved knew (the time) when they will not be able to ward off
the Fire from their faces, nor from their backs; and they will not be
40. Nay, it (the Fire or the Day
of Resurrection) will come upon them all of a sudden and will perplex
them, and they will have no power to avert it, nor will they get
41. Indeed (many) Messengers
were mocked before you (O Muhammad ),
but the scoffers were surrounded by that, whereat they used to mock.
42. Say: "Who can guard and protect you in the night or in the
day from the (punishment of the) Most Beneficent (Allah)?" Nay, but
they turn away from the remembrance of their Lord.
43. Or have they aliha (gods) who can guard them from Us?
They have no power to help themselves, nor can they be protected from
Us (i.e. from Our Torment).
44. Nay, We
gave the luxuries of this life to these men and their fathers until
the period grew long for them. See they not that We gradually reduce
the land (in their control) from its outlying borders? Is it then
they who will overcome.
45. Say (O
Muhammad ): "I warn you
only by the revelation (from Allah and not by the opinion of the
religious scholars and others). But the deaf (who follow the
religious scholars and others blindly) will not hear the call, (even)
when they are warned [(i.e. one should follow only the Qur'an and the
Sunnah (legal ways, orders, acts of worship, statements of
Prophet Muhammad , as
the Companions of the Prophet
46. And if a breath (minor
calamity) of the Torment of your Lord touches them, they will surely
cry: "Woe unto us! Indeed we have been Zalimun (polytheists
and wrong-doers, etc.).
47. And We shall
set up balances of justice on the Day of Resurrection, then none will
be dealt with unjustly in anything. And if there be the weight of a
mustard seed, We will bring it. And Sufficient are We as Reckoners.
48. And indeed We granted to Musa (Moses) and Harun (Aaron) the
criterion (of right and wrong), and a shining light [i.e. the Taurat
(Torah)] and a Reminder for Al-Muttaqun (the pious - see
49. Those who fear their Lord
without seeing Him, while they are afraid of the Hour.
50. And this is a blessed Reminder (the Qur'an) which We have
sent down, will you then (dare to) deny it?
51. And indeed We bestowed aforetime on Ibrahim (Abraham) his
(portion of) guidance, and We were Well-Acquainted with him (as to
his Belief in the Oneness of Allah, etc.).
52. When he said to his father and his people: "What are these
images, to which you are devoted?"
They said:"We found our fathers worshipping them."
54. He said: "Indeed you and your fathers have been in manifest
55. They said: "Have you brought
us the truth, or are you one of those who play about?"
56. He said: "Nay, your Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the
earth, Who created them and of that I am one of the witnesses.
57. "And by Allah, I shall plot a plan (to destroy) your idols
after you have gone away and turned your backs."
58. So he broke them to pieces, (all) except the biggest of them,
that they might turn to it.
said: "Who has done this to our aliha (gods)? He must indeed
be one of the wrong-doers."
said: "We heard a young man talking (against) them who is called
61. They said: "Then
bring him before the eyes of the people, that they may testify."
62. They said: "Are you the one who has done this to our gods, O
(Abraham)] said: "Nay, this one, the biggest of them (idols) did it.
Ask them, if they can speak!"
64. So they
turned to themselves and said: "Verily, you are the Zalimun
(polytheists and wrong-doers)."
they turned to themselves (their first thought and said): "Indeed you
[Ibrahim (Abraham)] know well that these (idols) speak not!"
66. [Ibrahim (Abraham)] said: "Do you then worship besides Allah,
things that can neither profit you, nor harm you?
67. "Fie upon you, and upon that which you worship besides Allah!
Have you then no sense?"
68. They said:
"Burn him and help your aliha (gods), if you will be doing."
69. We (Allah) said: "O fire! Be you coolness and safety for
70. And they wanted
to harm him, but We made them the worst losers.
71. And We rescued him and Lout (Lot) to the land which We have
blessed for the 'Alamin (mankind and jinns).
72. And We bestowed upon him Ishaque (Isaac), and (a grandson)
Ya'qub (Jacob). Each one We made righteous.
73. And We made them leaders, guiding (mankind) by Our Command,
and We inspired in them the doing of good deeds, performing Salat
(Iqamat-as-Salat), and the giving of Zakat and of Us
(Alone) they were worshippers.
(remember) Lout (Lot), We gave him Hukman (right judgement of
the affairs and Prophethood) and (religious) knowledge, and We saved
him from the town (folk) who practised Al-Khaba'ith (evil,
wicked and filthy deeds, etc.). Verily, they were a people given to
evil, and were Fasiqun (rebellious, disobedient, to Allah).
75. And We admitted him to Our Mercy, truly, he was of the
76. And (remember) Nuh (Noah),
when he cried (to Us) aforetime. We listened to his invocation and
saved him and his family from great distress.
77. We helped him against people who denied Our Ayat
(proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.).
Verily, they were a people given to evil. So We drowned them all.
78. And (remember) Dawud (David) and Sulaiman (Solomon), when
they gave judgement in the case of the field in which the sheep of
certain people had pastured at night and We were witness to their
79. And We made Sulaiman
(Solomon) to understand (the case), and to each of them We gave
Hukman (right judgement of the affairs and Prophethood) and
knowledge. And We subjected the mountains and the birds to glorify
Our Praises along with Dawud (David), And it was We Who were the
doers (of all these things).
80. And We
taught him the making of metal coats of mail (for battles), to
protect you in your fighting. Are you then grateful?
81. And to Sulaiman (Solomon) (We subjected) the wind strongly
raging, running by his command towards the land which We had blessed.
And of everything We are the All-Knower.
And of the Shayatin (devils) (from the jinns) were some who
dived for him, and did other work besides that; and it was We Who
83. And (remember) Ayub
(Job), when he cried to his Lord: "Verily, distress has seized me,
and You are the Most Merciful of all those who show mercy."
84. So We answered his call, and We removed the distress that was
on him, and We restored his family to him (that he had lost), and the
like thereof along with them, as a mercy from Ourselves and a
Reminder for all who worship Us.
(remember) Isma'il (Ishmael), and Idris (Enoch) and Dhul-Kifl
(Isaiah), all were from among As-Sabirin (the patient
86. And We admitted them to
Our Mercy. Verily, they were of the righteous.
87. And (remember) Dhan-Nun (Jonah), when he went off in
anger, and imagined that We shall not punish him (i.e. the calamites
which had befallen him)! But he cried through the darkness (saying):
La ilaha illa Anta [none has the right to be worshipped but You
(O Allah)], Glorified (and Exalted) are You [above all that (evil)
they associate with You]. Truly, I have been of the wrong-doers."
88. So We answered his call, and delivered him from the distress.
And thus We do deliver the believers (who believe in the Oneness of
Allah, abstain from evil and work righteousness).
89. And (remember) Zakariya (Zachariah), when he cried to his
Lord: "O My Lord! Leave me not single (childless), though You are the
Best of the inheritors."
90. So We
answered his call, and We bestowed upon him Yahya (John), and cured
his wife (to bear a child) for him. Verily, they used to hasten on to
do good deeds, and they used to call on Us with hope and fear, and
used to humble themselves before Us.
And (remember) she who guarded her chastity [Virgin Maryam (Mary)],
We breathed into (the sleeves of) her (shirt or garment) [through Our
Ruh - Jibrael (Gabriel)], and We made her and her son ['Iesa
(Jesus)] a sign for Al-'Alamin (the mankind and jinns).
92. Truly! This, your Ummah [Sharia or religion
(Islamic Monotheism)] is one religion, and I am your Lord, therefore
worship Me (Alone). [Tafsir Ibn Kathir]
93. But they have broken up and differed as regards their
religion among themselves. (And) they all shall return to Us.
94. So whoever does righteous good deeds while he is a believer
(in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism), his efforts will not be
rejected. Verily! We record it in his Book of deeds.
95. And a ban is laid on every town (population) which We have
destroyed that they shall not return (to this world again, nor repent
96. Until, when Ya'juj and Ma'juj
(Gog and Magog) are let loose (from their barrier), and they swiftly
swarm from every mound.
97. And the true
promise (Day of Resurrection) shall draw near (of fulfillment). Then
(when mankind is resurrected from their graves), you shall see the
eyes of the disbelievers fixedly stare in horror. (They will say):
"Woe to us! We were indeed heedless of this; nay, but we were
Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.)."
98. Certainly! You (disbelievers) and that which you are
worshipping now besides Allah, are (but) fuel for Hell! (Surely), you
will enter it.
99. Had these (idols,
etc.) been aliha (gods), they would not have entered there
(Hell), and all of them will abide therein.
100. Therein breathing out with deep sighs and roaring will be
their portion, and therein they will hear not.
101. Verily those for whom the good has preceded from Us, they
will be removed far therefrom (Hell) [e.g. 'Iesa (Jesus), son of
Maryam (Mary); 'Uzair (Ezra), etc.].
They shall not hear the slightest sound of it (Hell), while they
abide in that which their ownselves desire.
103. The greatest terror (on the Day of Resurrection) will not
grieve them, and the angels will meet them, (with the greeting):
"This is your Day which you were promised."
104. And (remember) the Day when We shall roll up the heavens
like a scroll rolled up for books, as We began the first creation, We
shall repeat it, (it is) a promise binding upon Us. Truly, We shall
105. And indeed We have written
in Zabur (Psalms) [i.e. all the revealed Holy Books the Taurat
(Torah), the Injeel (Gospel), the Qur'an] after (We have already
written in) Al-Lauh Al-Mahfuz (the Book, that is in the heaven
with Allah), that My righteous slaves shall inherit the land (i.e.
the land of Paradise).
106. Verily, in
this (the Qur'an) there is a plain Message for people who worship
Allah (i.e. the true, real believers of Islamic Monotheism who act
practically on the Qur'an and the Sunnah legal ways of the Prophet ).
107. And We have sent you (O Muhammad )
not but as a mercy for the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all
108. Say (O Muhammad ):
"It is revealed to me that your Ilah (God) is only one Ilah
(God - Allah). Will you then submit to His Will (become Muslims and
stop worshipping others besides Allah)?"
109. But if they (disbelievers, idolaters, Jews, Christians,
polytheists, etc.) turn away (from Islamic Monotheism) say (to them O
Muhammad ): "I give you a
notice (of war as) to be known to us all alike. And I know not
whether that which you are promised (i.e. the torment or the Day of
Resurrection) is near or far."
O Muhammad ) Verily, He
(Allah) knows that which is spoken aloud (openly) and that which you
111. And I know not, perhaps it
may be a trial for you, and an enjoyment for a while.
112. He (Muhammad )
said:"My Lord! Judge You in truth! Our Lord is the Most Beneficent,
Whose Help is to be sought against that which you attribute (unto
Allah that He has offspring, and unto Muhammad
that he is a sorcerer, and unto the Qur'an that it is poetry, etc.)!"