1. Alif-Lam-Ra. [These letters are one of the miracles of
the Qur'an, and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings].
These are the Verses of the Book, and a plain Qur'an.
2. Perhaps (often) will those who disbelieve wish that they were
Muslims [those who have submitted themselves to Allah's Will in Islam
Islamic Monotheism, this will be on the Day of Resurrection when they
will see the disbelievers going to Hell and the Muslims going to
3. Leave them to eat and enjoy,
and let them be preoccupied with (false) hope. They will come to
4. And never did We destroy a
township but there was a known decree for it.
5. No nation can anticipate its term, nor delay it.
6. And they say: "O you (Muhammad
) to whom the Dhikr (the Qur'an) has been sent down! Verily,
you are a mad man.
7. "Why do you not
bring angels to us if you are of the truthful ones?"
8. We send not the angels down except with the truth (i.e. for
torment, etc.), and in that case, they (the disbelievers) would have
9. Verily We: It is We Who
have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Qur'an) and surely, We will
guard it (from corruption) .
Indeed, We sent Messengers before you (O Muhammad )
amongst the sects (communities) of old.
And never came a Messenger to them but they did mock him.
12. Thus do We let it (polytheism and disbelief) enter into the
hearts of the Mujrimun [criminals, polytheists, pagans, etc.
(because of their mockery at the Messengers)].
13. They would not believe in it (the Qur'an), and already the
example of (Allah's punishment of) the ancients (who disbelieved) has
14. And even if We opened to
them a gate from the heaven and they were to continue ascending
15. They would surely say: "Our
eyes have been (as if) dazzled. Nay, we are a people bewitched."
16. And indeed, We have put the big stars in the heaven and We
beautified it for the beholders.
We have guarded it (near heaven) from every outcast Shaitan
18. Except him (devil) that
gains hearing by stealing, he is pursued by a clear flaming fire.
19. And the earth We spread out, and placed therein firm
mountains, and caused to grow therein all kinds of things in due
20. And We have provided
therein means of living, for you and for those whom you provide not
[moving (living) creatures, cattle, beasts, and other animals].
21. And there is not a thing, but with Us are the stores thereof.
And We send it not down except in a known measure.
22. And We send the winds fertilizing (to fill heavily the clouds
with water), then caused the water (rain) to descend from the sky,
and We gave it to you to drink, and it is not you who are the owners
of its stores [i.e. to give water to whom you like or to withhold it
from whom you like].
23. And certainly
We! We it is Who give life, and cause death , and We are the
24. And indeed, We know the
first generations of you who had passed away, and indeed, We know the
present generations of you (mankind), and also those who will come
25. And verily, your Lord
will gather them together. Truly, He is All-Wise, All-Knowing.
26. And indeed, We created man from sounding clay of altered
black smooth mud.
27. And the jinn, We
created aforetime from the smokeless flame of fire.
28. And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "I am going
to create a man (Adam) from sounding clay of altered black smooth
29. "So, when I have fashioned him
completely and breathed into him (Adam) the soul which I created for
him, then fall (you) down prostrating yourselves unto him."
30. So, the angels prostrated themselves, all of them together.
31. Except Iblis (Satan), - he refused to be among the
32. (Allah) said: "O
Iblis (Satan)! What is your reason for not being among the
33. [Iblis (Satan)]
said: "I am not the one to prostrate myself to a human being, whom
You created from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud."
34. (Allah) said: "Then, get out from here, for verily, you are
Rajim (an outcast or a cursed one)." [Tafsir At-Tabari]
35. "And verily, the curse shall be upon you till the Day of
Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)."
36. [Iblis (Satan)] said: "O my Lord! Give me then respite
till the Day they (the dead) will be resurrected."
37. Allah said: "Then, verily, you are of those reprieved,
38. "Till the Day of the time appointed."
39. [Iblis (Satan)] said: "O my Lord! Because you misled
me, I shall indeed adorn the path of error for them (mankind) on the
earth, and I shall mislead them all.
"Except Your chosen, (guided) slaves among them."
41. (Allah) said: "This is the Way which will lead straight to
42. "Certainly, you shall have no
authority over My slaves, except those who follow you of the
Ghawin (Mushrikun and those who go astray, criminals,
polytheists, and evil-doers, etc.).
"And surely, Hell is the promised place for them all.
44. "It (Hell) has seven gates, for each of those gates is a
(special) class (of sinners) assigned.
"Truly! The Muttaqun (pious and righteous persons - see V.2:2)
will be amidst Gardens and water-springs (Paradise).
46. "(It will be said to them): 'Enter therein (Paradise), in
peace and security.'
47. "And We shall
remove from their breasts any sense of injury (that they may have),
(So they will be like) brothers facing each other on thrones.
48. "No sense of fatigue shall touch them, nor shall they (ever)
be asked to leave it."
49. Declare (O
Muhammad ) unto My
slaves, that truly, I am the Oft-Forgiving, the Most-Merciful.
50. And that My Torment is indeed the most painful torment.
51. And tell them about the guests (the angels) of Ibrahim
52. When they entered unto
him, and said: Salaman (peace)! [Ibrahim (Abraham)] said:
"Indeed! We are afraid of you."
(the angels) said: "Do not be afraid! We give you glad tidings of a
boy (son) possessing much knowledge and wisdom."
54. [Ibrahim (Abraham)] said: "Do you give me glad tidings (of a
son) when old age has overtaken me? Of what then is your news?"
55. They (the angels) said: "We give you glad tidings in truth.
So be not of the despairing ones."
[Ibrahim (Abraham)] said: "And who despairs of the Mercy of his Lord
except those who are astray?"
[Ibrahim (Abraham) again] said: "What then is the business on which
you have come, O Messengers?"
(the angels) said: "We have been sent to a people who are Mujrimun
(criminals, disbelievers, polytheists, sinners).
59. "(All) except the family of Lout (Lot). Them all we are
surely going to save (from destruction).
"Except his wife, of whom We have decreed that she shall be of those
who remain behind (i.e. she will be destroyed)."
61. Then, when the Messengers (the angels) came unto the family
of Lout (Lot).
62. He said: "Verily! You
are people unknown to me."
63. They said:
"Nay, we have come to you with that (torment) which they have been
64. "And we have brought to you
the truth (the news of the destruction of your nation) and certainly,
we tell the truth.
65. "Then travel in a
part of the night with your family, and you go behind them in the
rear, and let no one amongst you look back, but go on to where you
66. And We made known this
decree to him, that the root of those (sinners) was to be cut off in
the early morning.
67. And the
inhabitants of the city came rejoicing (at the news of the young
68. [Lout (Lot)] said:
"Verily! these are my guests, so shame me not.
69. "And fear Allah and disgrace me not."
70. They (people of the city) said: "Did we not forbid you to
entertain (or protect) any of the 'Alamin (people, foreigners,
strangers, etc. from us)?"
(Lot)] said: "These (the girls of the nation) are my daughters (to
marry lawfully), if you must act (so)."
Verily, by your life (O Muhammad ),
in their wild intoxication, they were wandering blindly.
73. So As-Saihah (torment - awful cry, etc.) overtook them
at the time of sunrise;
74. And We turned
(the towns of Sodom in Palestine) upside down and rained down on them
stones of baked clay.
75. Surely! In this
are signs, for those who see (or understand or learn the lessons from
the Signs of Allah).
76. And verily! They
(the cities) were right on the highroad (from Makkah to Syria i.e.
the place where the Dead Sea is now) .
77. Surely! Therein is indeed a sign for the believers.
78. And the dwellers in the wood [i.e. the people of Madyan
(Midian) to whom Prophet Shu'aib () was sent by Allah), were also
Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.).
79. So, We took vengeance on them. They are both on an open
highway, plain to see.
80. And verily,
the dwellers of Al-Hijr (the rocky tract) denied the
81. And We gave them Our
Signs, but they were averse to them.
And they used to hew out dwellings from the mountains (feeling
83. But As-Saihah
(torment - awful cry etc.) overtook them in the early morning (of the
fourth day of their promised punishment days).
84. And all that which they used to earn availed them not.
85. And We created not the heavens and the earth and all that is
between them except with truth, and the Hour is surely coming, so
overlook (O Muhammad ),
their faults with gracious forgiveness. [This was before the
ordainment of Jihad holy fighting in Allah's Cause].
86. Verily, your Lord is the All-Knowing Creator.
87. And indeed, We have bestowed upon you seven of Al-Mathani
(the seven repeatedly recited Verses), (i.e. Surat Al-Fatiha)
and the Grand Qur'an .
not with your eyes ambitiously at what We have bestowed on certain
classes of them (the disbelievers), nor grieve over them. And lower
your wings for the believers (be courteous to the fellow-believers).
89. And say: "I am indeed a plain warner."
90. As We have sent down on the dividers, (Quraish pagans or Jews
91. Who have made the
Qur'an into parts. (i.e. believed in a part and disbelieved in the
92. So, by your Lord (O Muhammad ),
We shall certainly call all of them to account.
93. For all that they used to do.
Therefore proclaim openly (Allah's Message Islamic Monotheism) that
which you are commanded, and turn away from Al-Mushrikun
(polytheists, idolaters, and disbelievers, etc. - see V.2:105).
95. Truly! We will suffice you against the scoffers.
96. Who set up along with Allah another ilah (god), they
will come to know.
97. Indeed, We know
that your breast is straitened at what they say.
98. So glorify the praises of your Lord and be of those who
prostrate themselves (to Him).
worship your Lord until there comes unto you the certainty (i.e.