1. When the Event (i.e. the Day of Resurrection) befalls.
2. And there can be no denying of its befalling.
3. It will bring low (some); (and others) it will exalt;
4. When the earth will be shaken with a terrible shake.
5. And the mountains will be powdered to dust.
6. So that they will become floating dust particles.
7. And you (all) will be in three kinds (i.e. separate groups).
8. So those on the Right Hand (i.e. those who will be given their
Records in their right hands), Who will be those on the Right Hand?
(As a respect for them, because they will enter Paradise).
9. And those on the Left Hand (i.e. those who will be given their
Record in their left hands), Who will be those on the Left Hand? (As
a disgrace for them, because they will enter Hell).
10. And those foremost [(in Islamic Faith of Monotheism and in
performing righteous deeds) in the life of this world on the very
first call for to embrace Islam,] will be foremost (in Paradise).
11. These will be those nearest to Allah.
12. In the Gardens of delight (Paradise).
13. A multitude of those (foremost) will be from the first
generations (who embraced Islam).
a few of those (foremost) will be from the later time (generations).
15. (They will be) on thrones woven with gold and precious
16. Reclining thereon, face to
17. They will be served by immortal
18. With cups, and jugs, and a
glass from the flowing wine,
Wherefrom they will get neither any aching of the head, nor any
20. And fruit; that they
21. And the flesh of fowls
that they desire.
22. And (there will be)
Houris (fair females) with wide, lovely eyes (as wives for the
23. Like unto preserved pearls.
24. A reward for what they used to do.
25. No Laghw (dirty, false, evil vain talk) will they hear
therein, nor any sinful speech (like backbiting, etc.).
26. But only the saying of: Salam!, Salam! (greetings with
27. And those on the Right Hand,
- Who will be those on the Right Hand?
(They will be) among thornless lote-trees,
29. Among Talh (banana-trees) with fruits piled one above
30. In shade long-extended,
31. By water flowing constantly,
And fruit in plenty,
33. Whose season is
not limited, and their supply will not be cut off,
34. And on couches or thrones, raised high.
35. Verily, We have created them (maidens) of special creation.
36. And made them virgins.
(their husbands only), equal in age.
For those on the Right Hand.
multitude of those (on the Right Hand) will be from the first
generation (who embraced Islam).
a multitude of those (on the Right Hand) will be from the later times
41. And those on the Left
Hand Who will be those on the Left Hand?
In fierce hot wind and boiling water,
And shadow of black smoke,
shadow) neither cool, nor (even) good,
Verily, before that, they indulged in luxury,
46. And were persisting in great sin (joining partners in worship
along with Allah, committing murders and other crimes, etc.)
47. And they used to say: "When we die and become dust and bones,
shall we then indeed be resurrected?
"And also our forefathers?"
49. Say (O
Muhammad ): "(Yes)
verily, those of old, and those of later times.
50. "All will surely be gathered together for appointed Meeting
of a known Day.
51. "Then moreover,
verily, you the erring-ones, the deniers (of Resurrection)!
52. "You verily will eat of the trees of Zaqqum.
53. "Then you will fill your bellies therewith,
54. "And drink boiling water on top of it,
55. "So you will drink (that) like thirsty camels!"
56. That will be their entertainment on the Day of Recompense!
57. We created you, then why do you believe not?
58. Then tell Me (about) the human semen that you emit.
59. Is it you who create it (i.e. make this semen into a perfect
human being), or are We the Creator?
We have decreed death to you all, and We are not unable,
61. To transfigure you and create you in (forms) that you know
62. And indeed, you have already
known the first form of creation (i.e. the creation of Adam), why
then do you not remember or take heed?
Tell Me! The seed that you sow in the ground.
64. Is it you that make it grow, or are We the Grower?
65. Were it Our Will, We could crumble it to dry pieces, and you
would be regretful (or left in wonderment).
66. (Saying): "We are indeed Mughramun (i.e. ruined or
lost the money without any profit, or punished by the loss of all
that we spend for cultivation, etc.)! [See Tafsir Al-Qurtubi,
Vol. 17, Page 219]
67. "Nay, but we are
68. Tell Me! The water that
69. Is it you who cause it
from the rainclouds to come down, or are We the Causer of it to come
70. If We willed, We verily could
make it salt (and undrinkable), why then do you not give thanks (to
71. Tell Me! The fire which you
72. Is it you who made the tree
thereof to grow, or are We the Grower?
We have made it a Reminder (for the Hell-fire, in the Hereafter); and
an article of use for the travellers (and all the others, in this
74. Then glorify with praises the
Name of your Lord, the Most Great.
I swear by Mawaqi (setting or the mansions, etc.) of the stars
76. And verily, that is
indeed a great oath, if you but know.
That (this) is indeed an honourable recital (the Noble Qur'an).
78. In a Book well-guarded (with Allah in the heaven i.e.
79. Which (that
Book with Allah) none can touch but the purified (i.e. the angels).
80. A Revelation (this Qur'an) from the Lord of the 'Alamin
(mankind, jinns and all that exists).
Is it such a talk (this Qur'an) that you (disbelievers) deny?
82. And instead (of thanking Allah) for the provision He gives
you, on the contrary, you deny Him (by disbelief)!
83. Then why do you not (intervene) when (the soul of a dying
person) reaches the throat?
84. And you
at the moment are looking on,
85. But We
(i.e. Our angels who take the soul) are nearer to him than you, but
you see not, [Tafsir At-Tabari, Vol.27, Page 209]
86. Then why do you not, if you are exempt from the reckoning and
recompense (punishment, etc.)
back the soul (to its body), if you are truthful?
88. Then, if he (the dying person) be of the Muqarrabun
(those brought near to Allah),
is for him) rest and provision, and a Garden of delights (Paradise).
90. And if he (the dying person) be of those on the Right Hand,
91. Then there is safety and peace (from the Punishment of Allah)
for (you as you are from) those on the Right Hand.
92. But if he (the dying person) be of the denying (of the
Resurrection), the erring (away from the Right Path of Islamic
93. Then for him is
entertainment with boiling water.
burning in Hell-fire.
95. Verily, this!
This is an absolute Truth with certainty.
So glorify with praises the Name of your Lord, the Most Great.